The activities of the IASO Thessalias Gastroenterology Department cover a wide range of modern Gastroenterology and Invasive Endoscopy activities. Specifically, the individual activities – departments are as follows:
- Regular gastroenterology clinic
- Endoscopy laboratory: diagnostic and invasive endoscopies of the upper and lower GI tract.
Department of Endoscopy
Diagnostic endoscopic screening of the upper GI tract (gastroscopy and duedenoscopy).
Diagnostic endoscopy of the lower GI tract (colonoscopy and rectosigmoidoscopy).
Invasive endoscopy of the upper and lower GI tract:
- Dilation of esophageal – stomach and intestine strictures by mercury-filled bougies or balloon.
- Stents insertion in esophageal – duodenal or large intestine constrictions. Additional and emergency stent insertion in large intestine ileus cases (preoperatively as a bridge to surgery: Drop of morbidity – shorter hospitalization period – enterectomy and end-to end anastomosis within a year).
- Endoscopic treatment for esophageal achalasia.
- Removal of foreign bodies from the upper and lower GI tract.
- Esophageal varicose banding: Chronic and preventive treatment.
- Early neoplasias and precancerous conditions mucosectomy.
- Multiple resections in the upper and lower GI tract.
- Diagnostic and Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP).
- Invasive ERCP (sphincterotomy - stone removal – lithotripsy – insertion of plastic and metal stents – drainage catheter placement).